Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Learning Tennis Guide Part 1

The Learning Tennis Guide Part 1

To readers of this tennis guide, here is a little background information about yours truly.

I have been playing tennis for a long time, and have become fairly competitive.

In the beginning, I taught myself how to play, but I skipped out on researching techniques and play-styles. This was a big mistake!

In my third tournament I sprained my wrist, it was a grade 3 sprain, ouch!

The doctors told me it was because the ligaments were stretched beyond their normal limits; Upon further research I found out that these ligaments are quite tough.

So why did I really sprain my wrist?

I must have been swinging around my racquet really hard? Wrong! It is not about power, its about technique.

My technique was filled with bad form because I started playing without the knowledge needed to develop a good form. I purchased a guide online (links in my squidoo web page if your interested) and it helped me a lot. You do not understand, I had used bad form for so long I couldn't break the habit. I could never put a price on how much that guide helped me, it turned me into a new player.

In this tennis guide I'll teach you some basics about tennis that will help get you started.

This is crucial, you should be doing this every time your opponent hits the ball. It is called split-step and it is a technique that balances your weight correctly so you can move in any direction easily and quickly. Jump off the ground ever-so-slightly and land on the balls of your feet. This centers your weight.

You should also have a 'ready' position, which you should be in every time your not moving on the court. Stand with your feet about hip-width apart, and you should hold the racquet right in front of you.

Here is a great drill that will improve your volley aim and reaction time, two of the most important aspects of tennis!! Stand on the T section between the two services boxes with your back to the net. Have a partner volley it to you, and yell hit it. When he does you spin around and volley it right back to him as best you can.

You need to be able to react like lightning! Practice that drill every day and you could be quicker than John McEnroe!!!

Tennis racquets call for a whole tennis guide, which I'll probably write up as a follow-up article, but here goes. The size of the racquet is mostly personal preference. Large racquets have a bigger sweet spot, so more power! Yet the downfall is that they are slower than smaller racquets. Smaller racquets are much lighter. I won't interfere with your decision by telling you my personal opinion.

What would you suggest personally? I really really really want to know?

Do not read this paragraph. I would stick with a larger racquet as I believe that it helps breed good form in beginners. Larger racquets pretty much force you to develop long and proper strokes. A decent racquet will cost you $80-$90, and a professional racquet a lot more.

A great option when choosing a racquet is to demo it first. You can find demo's online or at your local tennis shop.

I will write more tennis guide articles like this if the feedback is positive. Also check out my squidoo lens in my bio for more great tips!

Article by Johnny Scarpelli, a personal trainer at X-Sport fitness in Illinois. Contact info: Seds0@hotmail.com

This is my squidoo lens where I have other great tennis tips with videos and pictures! Want more great tips, click this link now!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Johnny_Scarpelli

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/744627

The Learning Tennis Guide Part 1 Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: dik

0 comments:

Post a Comment